Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Building Typologies

1.  Which building typology you are researching?
  
"The building typologies I'm researching are Commercial Buildings and Transport Buildings."



2.  Why are you researching this building typology?

"I’m researching those types of buildings because my home town is home to the five star Four Season’s Hotel and many other hotels. My home town Nevis is sister to St. Kitts, and many of our people travel via boat to and from work each day, so I would like to explore the inner workings and design of how transport building work."


3.  What is the specialty of this building type you would like to research i.e.   museum for dance, school for digital media… 

"The specialty of my building types I’m researching are Water front Hotels and Ferry Terminals."


4.  What are the examples that you will be researching… list the examples, location and architect  (10 examples)


Water Front Hotels:
The Yas Hotel
Four Seasons Hotel
  • Architects: Skidmore, Owings & Merrill (SOM)
  • Location: Manama, Bahrain
Hainan Blue Bay Westin Resort Hotel
  • Architects: gad·Zhejiang Greenton Architectural Design
  • Location: Lingshui, Hainan, China

Old Mill Hotel Belgrade
  • Architects: GRAFT Architects
  • Location: Bulevar vojvode Mišića, Beograd, Serbia


Stockholm Waterfront
  • Architects: White arkitekter ab
  • Location: Stockholm, Sweden 


Manama, Bahrain’s
Ferry Terminals:
Salerno Maritime Terminal
  • Architects: Zaha Hadid Arcitects
  • Location: Salerno, Italy
 
Ferry Terminal
  • Architects: Foreign Office Architects (FOA)
  • Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Kaohsiung Port and Cruise Service Terminal
  • Architects: HMC Architects
  • Location: Kaohsiung, Taiwan
 
ORDOS 100 #28

  • Architects: F451 Arquitectura
  • Location: Ordos, Inner Mongolia, China
 
Yokohama International Passenger Terminal

  • Architects: Foreign Office Architects (FOA)
  • Location: Osanbashi, Japan

5.  What are your goals for working with this building type?

"My goals for these building types are to intertwine the major types of buildings, and make them work together beautifully with some sense of dependence between them."


6.  What are the program elements that you see included at this point in your building? (may  evolve once more research is done)

 "Some of the program elements that I see included at this point in your building are;

Lobby, Reception area, Conference room, Restaurant, Boating docks, Green spaces, Children play area..."

15 comments:

  1. The hotel is a very complicated building type along with a ferry terminal. I think you need to research these two as a ferry terminal is very busy and loud and may not be the right connection with a hotel. I think they can be located on the same site, but you will need to really design a layout that works for both of these without compromising the needs of each of them individually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Prof. Jill. I will keep that that in mind for when I am organizing and designing.

      Delete
  2. Hello Stedroy Brand,

    It is a short message only to say that I already know that you will be "my" student. I am in Brussels now with very busy schedule. After coming back to my home country, I will be ale to look at your work. In the end of the next week.

    Regards, Nadya from Bulgaria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK thanks much, and all the best on your trip!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Hi Mr. Bernstein, I'm not sure if it was an accident but your comment is blank.

      Delete
    2. Good morning, sorry about that blank comment - I was logged into my company's blog and something didn't quite work.
      I agree with your professor's insights. In the past, the idea of being near the docks was not glamorous, hotels and resorts were typically a few blocks away or clear across town. The notion of incorporating the two elements into a cohesive site brings up many challenges. I look forward to reviewing your ideas this semester.

      Delete
    3. Good afternoon, ok. Yes, I realize that in reality that they don't really go good together, so I might have to change from a full blown Ferry Terminal.

      Delete
    4. But do realize THIS is the setting to explore these types of things. They may not go hand in hand - what can be done to change that? WHY don't they work in the same setting? When you know the "why" the how will come.

      Delete
  4. Hello Stedroy -
    I am one of your reviewers and wanted to introduce myself. I am Marketing Director and also an architect at Forum Architects, LLC.
    I like the direction you've started in, but would caution you like Prof. Jill has that your typologies may cause problems for you. I like your initial images and precedent studies. Good work so far, looking forward to your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good afternoon, thanks for introducing yourself and your input. I really thought combining the two was a great idea, but I was cautioned about the noise among other things.

      Delete
  5. Hi Stedroy,
    I am also one of your reviewers. I'm a licensed architect and Senior Project Manager at Goshow Architects in Manhattan.
    I've also taught a graduate design studio at University of Pennsylvania, and undergraduate design studios at Temple University, Philadelphia University, Lehigh University, Drexel University, and the Moore College of Art & Design. I agree with your professor's comments. This is a complex program but not unsurmountable - on the contrary, you've established an interesting challenge. I'd suggest approaching each of these typologies independently (for a brief period only in the beginning). Develop each as though it wasn't dependent on the other. Then, your challenge would be to collapse the two building types and really examine the frictions, tensions, and moments of coincidence. Ask yourself what makes a Ferry Terminal what it is - and what makes a hotel what it is. You may find shared characteristics between the two. They both are transient, for example. They both receive and deploy clientele.
    I think it's promising and challenging. My two cents for now..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi nice to meet you. That's great. Thanks for your input. I was thinking the same thing, so I will examine them individually. Thanks again Senior Project Manager.

      Delete
  6. Stedroy-
    I believe that the academic setting is one in which you can experiment and push a little bit further outside the envelope regarding usual conceits and accepted practices. That said, just keep in mind that gravity and physics are still in play, even in University.

    Although it is a staunch challenge to combine a hotel and active ferry terminal, there are many successful transport oriented designs which can be referenced here as inspiration. My fear with your collection of images as precedents is that they are all of the rendered "design" product rather than any of the completed buildings. No matter the fame or renown of a firm, there is so much that happens between the idealized concept rendering and the executed building that only considering one of the two is cheating yourself of perspective. remember a 3-D movie is blurry without the glasses because of the superimposition of multiple layers of information. you need to be the decoder here to get to the grist of the precedents.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Development of the typologies for the right and needed buildings. The research is conducted and widely informed the strategy of the best custom resumes are organized and arranged. The impact of the typology for the success of the citizens involved for this realm and with dynamics.

    ReplyDelete